unexpected week

so this week didn't exactly go as planned... I'm in hospital right now and will be staying for a few days...

Over a 10 days ago I thought I had gotten two bites under my armpit in my sleep - strange place huh! It was quite sore whenever I moved my arm but I figured it would just go away after a few days. But then it didn't. And I realised it had been going on for quite a while with no improvement. Thankfully at that moment a doctor from New Zealand arrived for a week to work in the foster home medical clinic. So I asked her to have a look and she immediately diagnosed it was an abscess <An abscess is a collection of pus in any part of the body that, in most cases, causes swelling and inflammation We were talking about me going to the local village hospital (ok not village as in African village hospital - it has a nice building and am told is clean, but still not the same as a Western hospital...) Thankfully my insurance covered an international hospital so on Wednesday off I went to one of the international hospitals in Beijing.

I didn't know what to expect but it over exceeded my expectations! A beautiful building, almost like a hotel, I was seen right away and by an American doctor who knew straight away what it was and what was needed. So off I was to theatre to have the abscess drained. They put me on laughing gas, injected the local anesthetic (which was still mightely painful!) and got to work opening and draining the fluid. Thankfully I had gone loopers with the laughing gas and had no idea what was happening so by the time I came back around it was all done. I was sent home with some painkillers and an appointment two days later.

I'll cut to the chase... Came back Friday (today) and they decided to admit me as an inpatient as the other abscesses were not reducing with antibiotics. They wanted to put me on an IV and run some tests. Not nice huh! On top of that there was some stress getting approval from the insurance company. This place is expensive and I can't get access to cash to pay for it that quick. It would take days to get that money wired to me and taken out. Finally it was all sorted and I was given my own (super nice!!) room. This afternoon they did an ultrasound to see the shape size and position of the remaining abscesses and put me on an IV ever few hours.
Don't feel TOO sorry for me - this is my room!

Dinner time! so much food, barely ate half of it!

About to go to sleep as will be woken up in 5 more hours for an IV and I'm EXHAUSTED. Please pray for strength, rest and healing. Thank you all.


  1. Oh, no! :( Praying you're healed and out of there soon. Glad it's a nice place!

    Joy :)

  2. Praying you are healed soon, Rob!